Monday, January 9, 2012

Dresser into TV stand

So, I did this project almost a month ago, and am finally posting it :) I've seen the cutest dresser into TV stand transformations on Pinterest and have been wanting to do one for a while!! I had something very particular in mind, and wasn't going to settle unto I found exactly what I wanted. I looked every time I went to the thrift store down the street, but just never saw anything that special..untilllll I went to DI in Layton and i found it!!! It was EXACTLY what I wanted! The only downside was the price tag...$50..for an old, ugly, thrifted dresser seemed kinda steep to me!! But I couldn't pass it up :) We loaded it in the car and I went to work!! I did a lot of research on painting furniture and decided not to sand it at all!! I found a great primer that went and stayed on great!! Here are some pictures!!

Here is what we had before. It made the whole room seem so dark. It is also nice to start weeding out the cheap Ikea furniture :)

I was so excited to get started on it, I didn't take a before picture :( But here are what the drawers looked like. It kinda gives you an idea... (yes that is crayon colored all over it..)

This was the original hardware. Call me crazy, but I kinda liked them..Alax hated them though, so we changed them out.

Here is the paint and primer I used. Primer: Zinsser oil based primer. As for the paint, I had no idea what kind to get, so this is just something that seemed good at the time :) It ended up working great.

Here it was with 2 coats of primer!!!

Here it is all finished!!



I really love the detail of the bottom of it, including the legs!!

It's really a lot cuter in person!! I'm horrid at taking pictures, and I don't have a fancy camera :) but I love it so much, and besides wanting to change out the tracks on the drawers and other little things, It is exactly what I was looking for!! So don't be so quick to pass by all that ugly looking furniture at the thrift store!! It's amazing what some paint and a good chunk of time can accomplish :) Have a happy monday!! Stay tuned for another piece of painted furniture coming soon!!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! You did an awesome job! It is so HARD to find pretty-with-some character white furniture; I know because that is what I have been looking for. I happen to have a couple of white dressers similar to this so may we need to consider doing the same to them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! I always try to find cute furniture but can never find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome. You did a great job, and well worth the money amd time.

    ReplyDelete